Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster is set to release on February 28, 2024 for PS4 & PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam. The developer Nightdive Studios has officially announced the release date for this much-anticipated remaster of the 1995 LucasArts classic FPS game.
In Star Wars: Dark Forces, players take on the role of Kyle Katarn, a Galactic Empire defector turned mercenary. Katarn eventually joins forces with the Rebel Alliance, joining their covert operations division. This remastered edition is launching exactly 29 years after the game’s initial release on Feb 28, 1995.
Originally released on MS-DOS and PS1, the game was lauded for offering gamers a higher degree of movement as well as interactivity considering other games of that era. Furthermore, the inclusion of a large selection of interesting power-ups, loot items, and engaging level designs made the game immensely popular.
What To Expect From Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster Edition?
The developer Nightdive Studios has completely remastered the original title using their proprietary KEX engine, in order to run the game on current-gen consoles. This remastered edition will feature a support of 4K resolutions at 120 FPS. The game will include all the original level designs as well as upgraded gameplay mechanics. Moreover, it will feature high-resolution upgraded textures, enhanced rendering, and lighting, as well as support for modern gamepads.
Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster – Key Features
- All 14 original levels featuring Star Wars worlds and capital ships.
- Use your ability to jump, duck, and crawl to solve puzzles and defeat enemies.
- Your Personal Digital Assistant provides you with in-game information including map, inventory, and mission briefing.
- Engaging first-person ground combat featuring 10 weapons and 20 types of enemies.
- Up to 4K resolution / 120 frames per second visuals.
- Advanced 3D rendering enables updated lighting and atmospheric effects.
- Modern gamepad support adds a new weapon wheel, and rumble.
- Controller Support—vibration and gyro controls.
- A variety of power-ups are made available to the player, including health, shields, weapons, and ammunition.
- For combat, the player may use fists, explosive landmines, and thermal detonators, as well as blasters and other ranged weapons.
- Includes immersive environmental puzzles and mazes.
Interested players can currently wishlist the Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster on Steam Store.