You encounter Colossal bosses in Lords of the Fallen as part of the main story. True to their name, they are usually tougher to beat than the optional ones. This boss guide is for one such Colossal foe known as Tancred, Master of Castigations. This staff and shield-wielding warrior can deal some serious blows. Defeating him is no small feat but the fight doesn’t end there as you also have to fight his second form: Reinhold the Immured immediately after.
Let’s take a look at where you can find Tancred and Reinhold in Lords of the Fallen and figure out what tactics you need to apply to defeat them.
On This Page
Where Can You Find Tancred & Reinhold In Lords Of The Fallen?
Tancred, Master of Castigations can be found at the Tower of Penance, here is how you can get to him:
- Progress through the game till you reach the Manse of the Hallowed Brothers area.
- From here, take the bridge leading into the tower in the distance and you will be thrust into a boss fight against Blessed Carrion Knight Sanisho. Defeat this boss, and proceed to the tower.
- Once you are at the Tower of Penance, you are going to need to descend the tower as you kill all the enemies along the way.
- At the bottom, you will find an Umbral Flowerbed. If you don’t want to descend the tower every time you fail to defeat Tancred, plant a Vestige Seed here before proceeding further as it will start the boss fight with Tancred, Master of Castigations.
Lords Of The Fallen Tancred Boss Guide (Phase 1)
For this two-part boss fight, you will first face the boss in the form of Tancred, Master of Castigations. But before delving into the strategy part of beating him, let’s learn about all of his moves first to get a better understanding of what to expect.
Tancred, Master Of Castigation Moveset
Here are all of the different attacks Tancred, Master of Castigations will do during his fight:
|Staff Thrust/Lunge||A stabbing thrust attack with the staff. Can be performed with a lunge, giving it a longer reach.|
|Staff Swing Combo||A combination of forehand swings and backhand swings that can be dealt in a sequence.|
|Shield Bash||Tancred uses his shield as an offensive weapon and bashes it forward.|
|Shield Strike||A much more powerful shield attack is where he strikes his shield into the ground and shatters the surrounding floor. A telegraphed attack where he draws his shield back before plowing it into the ground.|
|Staff Strike||Overhead strike dealt with his staff. This strike can pack a powerful punch and shatter the ground as it lands.|
|Charge Swing Combo||An action that begins with a sprint and then follows through with a melee attack.|
|Holy projectiles||This action begins as he summons a glowing light that can then subsequently shoot out projectiles one at a time.|
|Holy beam||Tancred charges his staff before releasing a powerful holy beam. He can slowly shift the direction of this beam.|
|Holy Strike||A strike attack which is done with his fists. Tancred punches his fists on the ground releasing an expanding holy attack.|
Strategy For Defeating Tancred, Master Of Castigations
- Watch out for the special attacks: Tancred swings around his staff in a regular fashion like you would assume him to attack. But he will do special attacks at times like the Holy Beam and Holy Strike which cover large areas and are AoE attacks. These attacks will also build the Smite status effect. So, be careful of these special attacks in particular.
- Destroy the Umbral Parasite: There will be an Umbral Parasite in the center of the arena buffing Tancred. You can go for this immediately as soon as you get the chance and take it out to make the fight much easier.
- Dodge not block: For the most part, you should learn to dodge Tancred’s attacks because all of his regular attacks have a Wither effect. This will still cause you to lose your health after successful blocks albeit at a slower pace. If your character is really tanky, you can still choose to block as long as you have the means to heal yourself.
- Learn his combos and get behind him: If there is anything you need to keep in mind the most from this Tancred boss guide, it’s that you need to find ways to get behind him. The best way to do this is to learn his combos and reposition yourself behind him by dodging his attacks in a way that will put you behind him as his attack combo ends. The reason is that he will most likely always have his shield up and not take any damage from the front.
Lords Of The Fallen Reinhold The Immured Boss Guide (Phase 2)
Now that you have defeated Tancred, Master of Castigations, a short cutscene will play after which you will now be fighting a different version of Tancred himself. So for this part of the Tancred boss guide, we will look at how you can defeat his second form: Reinhold the Immured.
Reinhold The Immured Moveset
Here are all of the different attacks Reinhold the Immured will do during his fight:
|Claw Swipe||Reinhold has a large reach that can swipe covering a large area. He can deal a backhand or a forehand swipe.|
|Body Slam||An attack where he throws his body into the ground crushing those underneath. The animation begins with him walking on two legs.|
|Stomp||A stomping attack that can use one or two of his limbs to slam into the ground.|
|Fiery Stomp||A regular stomp attack that is imbued with fire.|
|Head butt Charge||Reinhold sprints forward and nudges those in the way aside, knocking them over.|
|Leap||This attack can be done in place or while repositioning, damaging those who remain as he lands.|
|Magma Leap||A special attack that enhances his leap attack with Burn, leaving a pool of magma.|
|Magma Stream||Like a flamethrowing attack. He spews a long-range stream of magma that can almost reach the opposite side of the arena.|
|Scream||His scream emits a shockwave of energy that can knock you back.|
|Dive Attack||It can be done in place or while repositioning, damaging those who remain as he lands.|
Strategy For Defeating Reinhold The Immured
If you want to defeat this abomination known as Reinhold the Immured, here is what you need to do:
- Stay close and hit his weak spot: Staying close to Reinhold’s world best as the attacks will be easy to dodge or block and you won’t lose time trying to cover any distance to him. As scary as he looks, you need to be near him because he will fall at times and reveal his vulnerable spot behind him that glows. Hitting this will give you a guaranteed critical hit.
- Watch out for the Body Slam: One of the more powerful moves he does is the Body Slam. This is the only real threat to you if you are fighting up close and personal because you will have no other choice but to disengage and move away. However, it is easy to predict as this is the only time where Reinhold will stand up on two legs before coming crashing down with the slam.
- The floor is lava: At some point during the fight, Reinhold will leave pools of magma underneath him with his attacks which can cause Burn on your character. If he is standing within it then you have no choice but to wait until you can get up close again. His fire attacks can be predicted by observing the animation of his limbs growing in size, this is the cue for his fire attacks.
Rewards For Defeating Tancred & Reinhold In Lords Of The Fallen
Once you have defeated both bosses using our Tancred boss guide, here are all the items that you can get as a reward:
- Vestige Seed
- Tancred’s Key
- Umbral Scouring x8
Soul Flay the Stigma after the boss fight’s end to get the following items:
- Remembrance of Tancred Master of Castigations
- Remembrance of Reinhold the Immured
- Umbral Scouring x2
Finally, bring the Remembrance of Tancred Master of Castigations and Reinhold the Immured to Molhu to get these items:
- Tancred’s Shield
- Tancred’s Mancatcher
- Tancred’s Gauntlets
- Tancred’s Armour
- Tancred’s Helm
- Tancred’s Leggings
- Infernal Eruption
- Radiant Guardian
That is it for the Lords of the Fallen Tancred boss guide. You might also be interested in knowing how to beat Abbess Ursula in Lords of the Fallen.