Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, released on April 28, 2023, has skyrocketed to the top of sales charts in the UK. According to the UK charts company GfK, the game recorded 35% less sales than its predecessor, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which was released in 2019.
However, even though these launch figures seem lukewarm compared to its predecessor, these figures only comprise of physical or disc sales of the game. Digital downloading of games has increased over the past few years, particularly marked by introduction of digital only consoles, such as Sony PS5 Digital Edition, Xbox series S, and Steam Deck.
PS5 physical version proves the best-selling edition, draws 82% of total disc sales
The game’s launch on April 28 was considered a huge success, pre-orders and launch day sales making the title second biggest release of the year in UK. Jedi: Survivor is overtaken only by Hogwarts Legacy. In terms of platform, PS5 version of this game proved to be the most popular one, recording over 82% of all physical sales in the UK. Xbox, on the other hand, accounted for the rest of 18% physical sales.
Gaming charts in UK during April 23 to 29 were dominated by Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, with gamers excited to continue their journey as Cal Kestis, a fierce Jedi warrior and the playable protagonist of the Star Wars game franchise.
During this week, another newly launched game, Dead Island 2, also a sequel of famous gaming franchise, followed the Survivor in terms of physical sales. According to GfK, Dead Island 2 performed reasonably well in its initial week. However, it also failed to match to the glory of its predecessor, marking 45% less sales than Dead Island, released in 2011. FIFA 2023 ranked third this week, followed by Mario Kart 8 & Hogwarts Legacy.