Luke Sullivan, the formidable fighter and gym coach, makes his return in Street Fighter 6 with a range of abilities and devastating moves. As an all-rounder character, he excels at close-range combat while also boasting the versatility to hold his own at mid and long-range. In this complete character guide, we will explore the nitty-gritties of Luke’s attacks, basic combos, and the general playstyle to master him.
Check out Luke’s backstory in this character introduction trailer:
How to play Luke
Luke made a brief appearance as the final DLC character in Street Fighter 5 as he left his old military life behind to start a career as an MMA fighter. He now takes center stage as a well-rounded fighter in the main roster of Street Fighter 6.
While Luke is a versatile character, he excels at medium to close-range combat, making it crucial to keep your opponent within this range. His best combos and moves are executed in close proximity, but fortunately, Luke possesses a variety of tools to close the gap between him and his adversaries. You can use Sand Blasts to keep your opponent on their toes. These quick projectiles serve as pokes, applying pressure and forcing your opponent to react.
Luke’s standing punches are instrumental in closing the distance between you and your opponent. By connecting a standing light punch, you can chain it into a medium punch and then a heavy punch, executing a target combo. This target combo can be further extended by incorporating super moves, amplifying the damage.
It’s essential to master Luke’s special moves and super arts to fully harness his potential. You can experiment with the different combinations and timings to execute devastating combos that can catch your opponent off guard.
To maximize Luke’s potential in battle, it’s crucial to master some basic combos that can be built upon as you progress. These will provide a solid foundation for executing more complex and devastating attacks. Here are some fundamental combos to get you started:
1. Crouching MK xx Sand Blast (Light or Overdrive)
This basic combo is great for poking at your opponent from a medium distance. Execute a crouching MK followed by a Sand Blast using either the light or Overdrive version. While this combo may not deal significant damage on its own, it keeps your opponent on their toes and can create openings for more devastating attacks.
2. Standing LP, Standing MP, Standing HP xx Special Moves
This target combo is essential for linking various moves and initiating combos. Start with a standing LP, followed by a standing MP, and finish with a standing HP. After the standing HP, you can cancel into one of Luke’s special moves, such as the Flash Knuckle or Rising Uppercut, for additional damage and follow-up opportunities.
3. Crouching MK, Crouching HP, Throw
While not a traditional combo, this sequence sets up a favorable position for maintaining pressure on your opponent. Begin with a crouching MK to poke at your opponent, then follow up with a crouching HP. After the crouching HP, quickly throw your opponent for a hard knockdown, allowing you to apply continued pressure and control the flow of the match.
4. Double Impact, Overdrive Flash Knuckle
This one requires precise timing but rewards you with a juggle opportunity. Perform a forward input and press HP twice for the Double Impact move. Immediately after the second punch lands, input the command for the Overdrive Flash Knuckle. If timed correctly, the Overdrive Flash Knuckle will launch your opponent into the air, enabling you to follow up with special moves or super arts for additional damage.
Mastering these basic combos will give you a solid foundation for Luke’s gameplay, paving the way for more intricate attacks such as the Eraser, which we will discuss later in the guide.
If you’re new to the world of six-button fighting games, the mechanics and intricacies of executing special moves and combos can be quite difficult. However, mastering this motion is essential for unleashing devastating attacks and gaining an upper hand in battles.
The six-point motion involves smoothly rotating the joystick or directional pad in a quarter-circle motion, starting from the down position, moving through the down-forward position, and ending at the forward position. This input is typically followed by pressing a specific attack button to execute the corresponding special move or combo.
To give you a better understanding, let’s break down the six-point motion into its four main components:
- Down: Push the joystick or directional pad downward. This initial position sets the foundation for the subsequent movements.
- Down-Forward: From the down position, move the joystick or directional pad diagonally downward and forward. This forms the first part of the quarter-circle motion.
- Forward: Continue moving the joystick or directional pad forward, completing the second part of the quarter-circle motion.
- Attack Button: After executing the full quarter-circle motion, press the designated attack button that corresponds to the desired special move or combo. Timing is crucial here, as pressing the button too early or too late can result in a failed execution.
Now let’s delve deeper into this motion and understand how it’s used to execute different moves.
1. Quarter-circle forward
This motion involves pushing the d-pad or stick downward, then quickly rotating it to the direction your character is facing. It is commonly used for moves like Luke’s Sand Blast projectile. Depending on the strength of the button used, the Sand Blast will cover a short, medium, or full-screen distance.
2. Quarter-circle back
Similar to the quarter-circle forward motion, quarter-circle back requires pushing the d-pad or stick downward, but this time rotating it in the opposite direction to the one your character is facing. Luke’s Flash Knuckle and Aerial Flash Knuckle both utilize this motion.
Holding the punch button during the quarter-circle back motion will charge up the Flash Knuckle, increasing its power and range. Releasing the punch button will unleash the charged attack, hitting your opponent with a powerful blow.
3. Shoryuken motion
This motion involves inputting a forward, downward, and then forward motion on the d-pad or stick. Luke’s Rising Uppercut utilizes this motion and is a reliable anti-air attack. Depending on the punch button used, the attack will have different properties and damage.
4. Charge motion
Some of Luke’s moves require a charge motion, which involves holding a direction on the d-pad or stick for a certain amount of time before releasing it in combination with a button press. His V-Reversal, for example, requires holding back or down-back for a brief period before pressing forward and the punch or kick buttons.
5. Half-circle forward/backward
The half-circle motion involves a semi-circular motion starting from back to down and then to forward (for half-circle forward) or from forward to down and then to back (for half-circle backward). Luke’s super moves, like the Mega Crush and Max Out, utilize this motion. Performing the accurate half-circle motion followed by the appropriate punch or kick buttons will unleash Luke’s devastating super attacks.
By understanding and mastering these six-point motions, you can effectively execute Luke’s moves and incorporate them into your playstyle. Experiment with different combinations of motions and buttons to discover powerful combos and strategies that suit your preferred approach.
Luke’s attacks in Street Fighter 6
Luke possesses a formidable array of close-range attacks that unleash devastating power, enabling him to punish opponents who get within his striking range. These moves are characterized by their speed, precision, and bone-crushing impact. Incorporating these close-range attacks into your gameplay will ensure that your opponents feel the full force of Luke’s fighting prowess.
Here are some notable close-range attacks to master:
- Flash Knuckle: Deemed Luke’s signature move, it is a lightning-quick attack that throws opponents off guard. This move enables Luke to close the gap and start deadly combos with amazing speed and power. Due to its seeming rapidity, it can be used to surprise opponents and relentlessly push them.
- Rising Upper Cut: This punishing attack demonstrates Luke’s raw strength. With a powerful uppercut motion, Luke delivers a devastating blow that launches opponents into the air, leaving them vulnerable to follow-up attacks. This move is perfect for retaliating against opponents who make crucial errors or make risky aerial attempts like jump attacks.
While Luke’s close-range attacks are formidable, he also possesses moves that can control the mid-range distance effectively. By utilizing these attacks, you can keep opponents at bay and maintain your offensive presence. Consider the following mid-range moves:
- Rising Rocket: This one is one of Luke’s most recognized mid-range attacks. This move launches Luke into the air with a powerful uppercut, striking opponents who are just out of reach for close-range attacks. The Rising Rocket serves as a potent anti-air option, punishing opponents attempting aerial assaults and denying them the advantage of height advantage.
- Sand Blaster: It is a projectile move that allows him to control the mid-range space. By launching a burst of sand toward his opponents, Luke can keep them at bay and disrupt their approach. The Sand Blaster can be used to limit the opponent’s movement options, create openings for follow-up attacks, or force them to make mistakes that can be capitalized on.
- Rapid Jabs: This move delivers a flurry of lightning-fast punches that excel at close to mid-range. These rapid strikes not only deal decent damage but also serve as a defensive option, interrupting opponents’ attacks and maintaining pressure. The Rapid Jabs can be used as a standalone mid-range attack or as part of a combo sequence to keep opponents guessing and prevent them from mounting a counterattack.
- Spinning Back Fist: This one is a powerful mid-range strike that combines speed and force. This spinning attack catches opponents by surprise, hitting them with a devastating blow and creating opportunities for follow-up attacks. It is effective at punishing opponents who try to maintain mid-range distance, as it covers a wide area and has the potential to catch opponents off guard.
Though Luke’s focus lies in close and mid-range combat, he possesses some long-range attacks that can catch opponents off-guard and disrupt their strategies. Incorporate the following long-range moves into your gameplay:
- Vulcan Blast: This is a potent long-range projectile attack. By harnessing his energy, Luke can unleash a barrage of sandblasts at high speed towards his opponents. The Vulcan Blast is an excellent tool for zoning, as it forces opponents to carefully navigate around the projectiles or risk taking damage. Use this move to control space and limit your opponent’s options, creating openings for your next move.
- Rising Rocket (EX Version): The EX version of Luke’s Rising Rocket is a modified version of his mid-range uppercut attack. When performed with an EX meter, it gains additional range and can hit opponents from a greater distance. This allows Luke to surprise opponents who think they are safe at long range and punish them for their complacency. This is a valuable tool for catching opponents off guard and maintaining pressure even from a distance.
- Sand Slide: This is a unique long-range attack that allows him to swiftly close the gap between himself and his opponents. By sliding across the ground and launching a quick strike, Luke can punish opponents who try to keep their distance or create opportunities for follow-up attacks. The Sand Slide is particularly effective against opponents who rely heavily on long-range attacks, as it allows Luke to quickly close in and disrupt their game plan.
- Quick Step: While not an attack in itself, Luke’s Quick Step is a defensive maneuver that enables him to evade long-range attacks and reposition himself on the battlefield. By quickly sidestepping or ducking, Luke can avoid projectiles and other long-range attacks, giving him an advantage in the neutral game. This move can be used to frustrate opponents who rely on long-range tactics, forcing them to adjust their strategy and potentially leaving them vulnerable to counterattacks.
These are high-damage attacks that can turn the tide of battle in your favor. Mastering these moves will greatly enhance your offensive capabilities. Luke’s super moves include:
- Eraser: This is a super move that combines swift punches with a powerful finishing blow. When executed, Luke launches a series of rapid punches, stunning his opponent before delivering a final devastating uppercut that launches them high into the air. This move is not only visually impressive but also deals significant damage. It can be used as a punishing tool against opponents who leave themselves open or as a combo ender to maximize damage output.
- Pale Rider: It is another of Luke’s super moves that displays his brute force. This move allows him to charge towards his opponent, pummeling them with a relentless barrage of powerful punches. As Luke lands each blow, he steadily gains ground, making it a useful move for closing the distance and applying pressure. The Pale Rider is an excellent choice when you need to cover long distances quickly while dealing a flurry of heavy hits.
- Vulcan Blast (Critical Art): Luke’s Critical Art, named after his signature projectile attack, the Vulcan Blast, showcases his mastery over sand manipulation. When triggered, Luke gathers his energy and unleashes a massive, devastating Vulcan Blast that travels across the screen, engulfing the opponent in a powerful sandstorm. This super move is an incredible tool for punishing opponents from a distance and dealing significant damage. It can also be used to deter opponents from attempting long-range attacks, as the threat of this move can force them to respect Luke’s zone of control.
By refining Luke’s playstyle with a wide variety of attacks, all the while incorporating his special moves and utilizing effective strategies, you can unleash his full potential and dominate the fight. Whether you prefer to engage in close quarters combat or control the distance, Luke offers a diverse set of tools to keep your opponents on their toes.